Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit for people aged 16 to 64 with a long-term helath condition or disability.  It will gradually replace Disability Living allowance (DLA), except for children under 16.
Find out more about PIP, who can get it, when you can claim and what happens if you're already getting DLA.
If you want to speak to someone about how to make an application or how you will be affected, you can phone the independent welfare changes helpline for free on 0808 802 0020 or contact Probity at or Click here

How Personal Independence Payment will affect you if you're getting Disability Living Allowance

If you have a health condition or disability which means you have daily are needs or difficulty getting around, you may be getting Disability Living Allowance (DLA). From 20 June 2016 DLA will gradually be replaced by PIP.
This page explains more about which existing disability benefits will be replaced by PIP and what you can expect to happen if you're already getting DLA.

Who will PIP affect?

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit for people with a disability or long-term health condition aged 16 to 64. PIP will eventually replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) even if you're getting an indefinite or lifetime award of DLA.
If you're under 16, you can continue to claim DLA until your sixteenth birthday.
If you’re already getting Attendance Allowance, you won’t be affected by PIP.
Other disability benefits won't be affected by PIP.

If you’re already getting Disability Living Allowance

There’s no automatic transfer from Disability Living Allowance (DLA) to PIP. If you're getting DLA, you will get a letter inviting you to make a new claim for PIP. If you don’t claim or if your claim is unsuccessful, your DLA will stop.
Once you’ve made a claim, you’ll continue to get DLA until you’re told whether you qualify for PIP. You won’t have to prove that your condition has existed for at least three months. But your condition or disability must be expected to last for the next nine months or longer.
When PIP is introduced, you’ll be asked to make a new claim for PIP if:
  • you report a change in your condition
  • your DLA is due to come to an end
  • you're approaching your sixteenth birthday.
At a later date, the Social Security Agency (SSA) will start to contact everyone else getting DLA to invite them to claim PIP. You don't need to do anything until the SSA writes to you.

If you’re aged 65 and over

If you get DLA and you’re aged 65 or over when PIP is introduced on 20 June 2016 you won’t need to make a claim for PIP. You can carry on getting DLA for as long as you meet the conditions for it.

If you’re aged under 16

If you get DLA and you’re aged under 16, you can carry on getting it until you reach the age of 16. Your parent or guardian will get a letter when you are approaching 16, telling you that you can claim PIP.

How passported benefits will be affected

If you’re getting DLA, this allows you to apply for other help to support you. These are called passported benefits. They include the Blue Badge Scheme, carers allowance, Motability schemes and help with public transport.
The government has said that current passporting arrangements for DLA will be broadly maintained under PIP. There is a list of the passported benefits and schemes, along with the details of the qualifying PIP component and rate, on the government website at

If you lose your award

If you currently get DLA but when you are reassessed you do not get an award of PIP or get it at a lower rate, you may get supplementary payments for up to one year to compensate you financially.  This scheme is still being worked out. 


Popular posts from this blog

Attorney General V The Charity Commission for Northern Ireland

Have you ever been subject to a decision,order or direction of the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland?

Third Party Protection & The Charity Commission for Northern Ireland